FOLLOW ME

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, November 28, 2014

Love covers...

These are just some thoughts as I lie here praying for the Wilson's. 
I find it completely ignorant of George Stephanopoulos, to be interviewing a police officer and appear to have no idea what kind of tactical, mental, or physical training is given to police officers. They go to college just as any other professional in today's society! And to tell him it's pretty hard to dream when someone is dead. So because he protected himself, he is no longer allowed to dream? 
This whole situation has shown me just how clueless some Americans are. They don't bother to educate themselves on issues before spouting. The knowledge is at our fingertips, literally. 
I have been praying that other officers don't see this controversy and become afraid to shoot if that's what they have the legal right to do. And I will continue to do so because I know that if my husband was holding a gun with the intent to protect himself and/or his family, and a man was charging at him, I know he would shoot. 
Just because a police officer has sworn to protect and serve doesn't mean they aren't also supposed to protect themselves from being attacked. 
My heart goes out to everyone involved. But it's truly time to take responsibility for our own actions. Go read about inner city violence and find statistics on broken families. Do the research. Humans beings don't grow up to become criminals out of the blue. Many things, over many years lead to this type of behavior. Broken and hurting people tend to hurt other people. It's incredibly sad that some people choose destructive paths. But we cannot force people to uphold morals if they were not taught or modeled those morals. Have you ever met a teenager with a criminal record? Have you ever spoken with them? Well, I can say that I have AND I have my own personal experience with the law. Talking with other teens, one thing has become apparent to me, teenagers are more often than not, ignored by their parents. And this is a critical time of change. Second thing I have observed, teens are hurting & broken & they are overwhelmed with their emotions. Most of them talk about their parents and their home lives. And the children that come from a broken family, they have hips on their shoulders. They are guarded and struggle to talk about how they feel. 
It is a given, that anyone chasing drugs, relationships, parties, crime, (etc) they are running away from their pain. And they don't know what to do with their emotions. So instead of seeking help, they act out. They let their anger and resentment fuel their actions. I know this, because 
I did this. Luckily, the law caught up to me before I was 18 & I'm blessed to live in MN where they offer diversion programs. You get one chance to erase your criminal record. And that is such a beautiful grace. 
I think it is time as Americans, to do a better job of loving one another. Instead of throwing out labels and bigotry, and grouping everyone together in their little boxes, it's time to see each person as a child of the one true King. Love will cover a multitude of sins if we let it. 
It shouldn't be us or them. Black or white. But we all have chosen to make it so. And it's a shame. We as a collective need to pray more and go to church more. We need to get ourselves right before our creator. THEN AND ONLY THEN CAN WE INVOKE CHANGE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment