FOLLOW ME

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

\\ A mother's heart //

 


I could sit here and complain about how I have been stuck in the house with Elijah since December 29th. We've only left twice to get food. But this is my reality. I started to post things to Facebook when the weather was ruining our plans but then I realized that I shouldn't do that. I prayed and felt much better. We must make the best of our realities. Whatever they may be. I cannot change that my car is broken and the weather is frightful. The cold forced us to postpone Elijah's Birthday party. I had a momentary sadness about it. But then I slept on it and prayed and rescheduled it for January 11th. I must choose to enjoy myself. I can keep my hands and mind busy with cleaning, crafts, and playing with Elijah.

When it is warm out, people complain that it is too hot. Then, when winter hits, people complain that it's too cold. I wonder if it is like this everywhere or is it just a Midwestern thing? Is life THAT boring that people must complain about these mundane things? Why do we have to complain at all? It is quite disheartening to read all of the complaints about children on Facebook. Most children spend their days in institutions away from their parents. When school is canceled because it is so cold out that the temperature could literally freeze our skin, parents complain that they can't handle being with their kids any longer. "One more day with my kids and I am going lose my mind." Are you serious? That makes me sad when I read that kind of thing. Keep that to yourself. Take those thoughts to Jesus and leave them there.

Young children look to their parents for attention and love and validation. The way we treat them alters their view of God and Jesus. How could they grow up to believe that a BIG GOD exists that loves them fiercely when their earthly parents don't love them appropriately. Children are sweet and have vulnerable hearts. I am a woman so I come at this subject from a mother's perspective. As mothers, it's our job to guard the hearts of our children, teach them patience and guide them as they grow. They learn by our example. If we set a bad example, how can we expect our children to act right? It is important that we realize, what we do when our children aren't looking is just as important as when they are watching. Secrets we keep and things we say or type out on Facebook can affect our children.

I believe whole heartedly that the Bible is true. The only true word of God. and the Bible says,

Galations 6:7-8 Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

If we sow our negative thoughts, negativity will come back to us. It is God's law. The world has twisted it to be "karma" but it is reaping and sowing. Plain and simple. We have to make sure that as Christ followers, we pray and seek the right thing. I often fall short and get sad. But what I have learned is, it is important to not run from any of our feelings. What is important is, how we act about those feelings. We may feel sick of being cooped up indoors but we cannot let that affect how we act towards our children. We can feel annoyed but it isn't our children's fault that we feel this way. Those children did NOT choose to exist. We are the ones who chose to have sex and conceive them. Then once they are here, we are annoyed with them? To me, that doesn't seem logical. It is most definitely not right.
It is our job to raise our children. WE are ALL born with a sinful nature. And we want what we want. As mothers (and fathers) it is our duty to teach our children how to act and how to live in a free society. We have to show our children the right way. WE have to be ever present and learning from our mistakes. We have to realize that it is NOT a child's fault that they are bratty or annoying. Somewhere along the way, that means, as a parent we may have made some mistakes. We have to sit down and repent of those mistakes and ask the Lord to help us do better and do right by our children.

We cannot let our children rule over us. Because they will and honestly, it is our fault if we let them. Children will manipulate and get the things they want; Adults do this too. It is up to us as the adults to set boundaries and speak kindly to them. We must be firm, and loving.

I know I only have a one year old baby. But let me tell you, he is determined. ALL day, I am telling him no and redirecting his behavior. He tries and tries and keeps on trying to get his way. I have to be loving and firm. If I let him win, he will think he runs the show. And I can already see that I have to win every battle that arises. If I don't do it now, he will be even THAT much harder to deal with as he gets bigger.

By the time he is 5 or 6, I want him to be able to enjoy the beautiful world around him and also know that he has to listen to me and to Kaleb. And if he doesn't there will be consequences. And not empty lame words without follow through. I mean actual, real consequences. Empty threats that we spew out don't do any good because kids learn that they are empty. Then they rule the show.

That's all I have for now on this subject. I am slowly learning and gleaning wisdom. One year of parenting down. And it was the easy year. Now comes the beginning of the hard work.

Lord, I pray that with each passing day I seek You more and continually do my best to see things through Your eyes. Thank You, for Elijah and the gift of being a mother. It means the world to me. Thank You, for Kaleb. Thank You, for a warm house and the food on our table. The lasagna we had tonight was wonderful!
Thank You, for, Jesus.
Through Him I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment